Monday, December 15, 2008

Give Them A Hand For Christmas


What fun it was helping my mom and dad decorate their Christmas tree this year.
One of the highlights for my children was finding their hand ornaments we made my parents for gifts in the past.
My mom has requested these through the years. It is something to see all the different sizes from my children as well as my nieces and nephews some of whom are adults now. It's hard to believe my grown nephews' hands were ever so small.
I thought I would share two of my favorite hand ornament designs that I have created in the past. The ones above were made in 2003. My daughter was not quite six months old. I loved the way these turned out. They were very easy to make. A simple NO SEW project.


I made the ginger bread lookalike hands last year using a simple mix of applesauce and cinnamon. They still smell wonderful! I used a white paint pen to add icing details.

On the back side of my designs I wrote the date they were made and each child's name.



Fabric Hand Ornaments
  1. Trace your child's hand on heavy poster board. I used an extra gift box to trace mine out on.
  2. Cut out traced hand.
  3. Next you will want to use your newly cut out hand to trace an outline on the fabric of your choice. You will need to turn your poster board hand over and trace out a palm up piece too. This is so you will have a pretty back side to your ornament as well. You should now have two hands. A palm up and a palm down version.
  4. Now you will brush the front of your poster board hand with craft glue. ( You want a nice even coat, not too thick) Place fabric on top gently smoothing from the center. Once first side is in place repeat process on the other side.
  5. Once fabric is set in place it is a good time to hot glue ribbon or string in place on the center wrist area of your ornament. This is your hanger.
  6. Now for the fun embellishments. I used lace, ribbons, and buttons which I hot glued in place.
  7. After you are finished you may want to brush edges with Aleene's Fray No More.

I told you they were simple!

"Gingerbread" Hand Ornaments


Cinnamon Ornament Dough

  1. Mix 1 cup applesauce and 1 cup of cinnamon.
  2. Knead mixture. It should make a nice dough. If it is too dry add small amounts of applesauce.
  3. Roll dough as you would cookies. If it sticks to rolling pin sprinkle with cinnamon.
  4. Now it is time to trace your child's hand on dough. I used a toothpick and lightly traced each hand.
  5. Using a sharp knife carefully cut out each hand.
  6. Use a straw to make hole for ribbon in center wrist area of ornament.
  7. You can let these air dry for 2 or 3 days or bake on parchment paper in a 200 degree oven. Watch them closely. If you bake too long the edges will curl. I checked them by gently tapping them with my finger nail until they felt like they had hardened enough.
  8. Now you can use a white paint pen to decorate your hand. Let paint dry then tie on your ribbon hanger.

These smell wonderful year after year. Simply wrap them in tissue paper when it is time to store them after Christmas.

I hope you will give these a try. They are sure to become treasured keepsakes enjoyed for years to come!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Awesome!!! I love how God made you!! K Pretty Ornaments...................