Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Civil War Adventures At Stones River

Our most recent civil war adventure took place not too far from Nashville at Stones River National Battlefield in Murfreesboro, Tennessee. We really had a great time there. The activities of the day were quite interesting for the children and the adults as well.





The boys especially enjoyed the battle demonstrations which included firing cannons. The children enjoyed interacting with the reenactors who seemed equally thrilled in the fact that the children wanted to carry on a conversation with them. My oldest even got a penny whistle lesson from one of them. I was quite impressed with how he progressed at playing it in just a day.




Papaw stopped for a picture with his grandchildren.








Sugar & Spice


And Everything Nice





They were discussing hat styles.




Getting ready to fire the cannons.







It was VERY loud. The boys loved it.




I always pick out a favorite reenactor.








Reenactors preparing for demonstration.





Too CUTE!



Enjoying the warmth of the fire and fun conversation.




Penny Whistle Lessons



My son giving it a try.




He really played well.







My niece was a little frightened of my "favorite" reenactor, but my daughter posed for a photo.





The boys especially enjoyed this demonstration.








Stones River





Oh what memories we have been making!







I loved this shot of my oldest son and youngest nephew.



If you are interested in planning a visit or learning more about the battle that occurred at Stones River National Battlefield check out the links below.


http://www.nps.gov/stri/index.htm




























No comments: