Saturday, August 2, 2008

Indian Money

" Indian Money", that's what my mom calls them. I remember passing many summer hours away combing dry creek beds for these "Indian" treasures. I still have a bit of " Indian Money" fever, and have spent some time lately collecting it, and introducing my children to the thrill of the hunt. I must admit with all the political correctness nowadays I am probably running the risk of being vilified somehow for even using this term, but being the brave soul I am , and since I foresee no run for public office in my future I will go ahead and type myself into what might be viewed as political faux pas and call them what I wish!

For curiosity sake though, I did decide to look into what these really are. I just had to know where they came from, and boy was I suprised! So here's the scoop on these unique treasures!

The scientific name is Crinoid Fossils. They are sea lilly fossils. Don't let the sea lilly part confuse you ,these were once marine animals that were attached to the ocean floor. They filtered food particles from currents flowing past them. After the sea lily died, it disintegrated very quickly and that is why we usually find these fossils in pieces. The fossils you find are pieces of crinoid stem. They are the parts that attached to the sea floor. The center was an opening that was filled with a fleshy stalk which provided food to the lower part of the animal. It also held the stem together and gave flexibility to the stem. Crinoids are commonly found in sedimentary rock. There are still sea lilies alive today in the sea. That is why these are referred to as "living fossils".

Hmmm, all this information kind of makes you wonder how these fossils have ended up in backyard creeks and mountain tops. Could it have happened during a great catastrophic flood of some sort? Yes, I think so!

It is always exciting to learn something new, especially about something that carries many wonderful childhood memories along with it. I don't know about you, but all of this talk about Crinoids has made me want to go on an "Indian Money" hunt. How about you?


*Be sure to check back soon to see some jewelry creations made with Indian Money.




My children and I found the "Indian Money" pictured below in the creek behind my Mom and Dad's house.






Photos by Alana T. copyrighted 2008




Photos by Alana T. copyrighted 2008






Photo by Alana T. copyrighted 2008

















No comments: