Saturday, June 14, 2008

Happy Fathers Day

Daddy and His Treasures
Daddy's Favorite Strawberry Pie

Cherry Delight


"To her the name of father was another name for love." Fanny Fern
I ran across the above quote in a little keepsake book that rests on a bookshelf in our home. I am so blessed to be able to relate to the quote so very well. The only thing I might have changed in the quote is the word father. You see growing up another name for love was daddy, and it still is. My daddy was a wonderful daddy. He made me feel like a treasure. As I have grown older I have read, and heard many times over the importance of fathers to be truly committed to their sons and daughters. I've read how important it is for them to instill a sense of value in them by setting a side time to spend with them, and that in doing so it would help them grow up to feel valued and loved, and not having to seek love in the wrong places.
I couldn't agree more, and am so thankful I had a daddy who instilled in me that feeling of self worth. Thank you daddy!

Now as a wife and mother it has been so wonderful to see my husband also doing it right. I see him on a daily basis building this value in our children . He is so unselfish and giving to us. He always makes time to make memories with our children, and to tell them that he loves them. He is such a great example to the boys of what it means to be a godly man. To show each of them by example how important prayer, and spending time in God's word is. I know this will bless future generations. I know our daughter is learning what it means to be valued and loved just as I did as a girl, and that too will serve her very well as she grows into a woman. Now that I'm talking about my husband I can't forget to mention the excellent example that his father was. I wouldn't have the husband I have if he had not been the loving father that he was. I am so thankful my husband was blessed to grow up in a loving, godly home.

I wanted to honor these men here today, and let them know how much they are loved! Happy Father's Day to three great men!

In honor of you I wanted to share some of your favorite dessert recipes.

My Daddy's Favorite Strawberry Pie ( My husband likes this too!)
1 ready made pie crust ( I like the deep dish crust.)
1lb strawberries ( cut stems off, wash and slice)
1 1/3 cups of sugar
4 tablespoons cornstarch
1 1/3 cups of water
1 teaspoon margarine

Bake pie crust according to package directions. Set aside.
In a medium sauce pan add water and sugar.
Mix 4 tablespoons of cornstarch with a little HOT water to dissolve.( I stir briskly with a fork.) Add this to water and sugar mixture, and bring to a boil. Let it boil stirring vigorously until it thickens.
Once it is thick add a few drops of red food coloring and teaspoon of margarine. Stir. Pour sliced capped berries into pan and stir to coat berries with red filling.Pour into baked pie crust, chill until it is set. Serve with whipped cream. Enjoy!

Cherry Delight ( For my husband , and his daddy.)
2 cups of crushed vanilla wafers
1 stick of melted butter (margarine)
1 large pack cream cheese (8oz.)
3/4 cup of sugar
1 cup of milk
2 envelopes Dream Whip
1 or 2 cans Cherry Pie Filling
Mix vanilla wafer crumbs with melted butter and sprinkle half of mixture in bottom of a 13 x 9 pan.( it will not cover bottom of pan completely) Cream together cheese, sugar, milk and dream whip. Beat with mixer until stiff. Spread half on crust. Then spread cherry pie filling and remaining dream whip mix on top. Sprinkle with remaining crumbs and chill 24 hours.

* This recipe came from my wonderful mother in law, and is delicious!















1 comment:

Anonymous said...

These recipes are awesome! Thanks for sharing...WordsAreLifeK