Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Walking With My Father

By Alana T.




For about a month now I have been walking the hills of middle Tennessee with my daddy.We've been keeping at it in hopes of finding a route that is down hill going and coming, but we haven't had any success thus far.




I really enjoy our four mile treks that take us about an hour. The area where my parents live is beautiful. The wooded areas and open fields we walk along side are homes to a variety of wildlife , and picturesque scenes for our eyes to feast upon.

During these walks I have enjoyed the opportunity to talk with my dad. We have talked about current events, memories from the past, and hopes for the future. I have shared my worries, and concerns, he has shared his, and then there are the days we mostly just walk, and let conversation rest. I enjoy that too.





It has been such a blessing to have someone to walk with. Research even suggest that people with exercise partners fare better then those going at it alone.





I can't help but draw a spiritual comparison here. We as Christians also fare better when we don't go it alone. We need brothers and sisters in Christ to walk with. We do much better on the steep hills of life when we have someone with us. Maybe they are ahead, by that I am referring to the patriarchs, the ones who have been in this race we are running longer. They motivate us by their encouraging words, biblical insights and life testimony to keep on keeping on. They in their maturity have the wisdom to walk along side someone if needed or let the younger step up and lead. Then there are the ones that walk behind that encourage the more experienced with their enthusiasm about entering the race.





I know it has truly been a blessing walking with my Father and father. I'm thankful I'm not going it alone.



Two are better than one; because they have a good reward for their labor.



For if either of them falls, the one will lift up his companion. But woe to the one who falls when there is not another to lift him up.







Furthermore, if two lie down together they keep warm, but how can one be warm alone?






And if one can overpower him who is alone, two can resist him. A cord of three strands is not quickly torn apart.



Ecclesiastes 4:9-12










Alana T. © 2008

No comments: