Thursday, July 17, 2008

Civil War Adventures

My daddy has been planning trips to Civil War sites for the grandchildren for quite some time. We took our first trip Saturday. We had planned to visit Fort Henry first.

We searched and searched, drove around, turned around and repeated that for quite some time until we discovered that Fort Henry is now under water. They flooded it years ago with no mention of this in any of my daddy's online research. Once we found this out from a helpful park ranger, and since we didn't bring any scuba gear along we headed over for our next planned stop at Fort Donelson which was just up the road in Dover, Tennessee. The kids were very excited to get there, and I must admit that the grownups were very glad to finally say, " Yes" to the question we had been hearing for quite sometime. " Are we there yet?"

We all enjoyed our visit, and the boys are already asking when we can go back. They especially enjoyed the battle area on the river, and with the sound of distant thunder it was easy for us to imagine the sounds of cannons being fired. I would recommend this trip for anyone wanting to learn more about the Civil War.

There is also an eagle nesting area on the grounds, and we were excited to see Bald Eagles soaring above the Cumberland River. Click on the links below to learn more about these two very important battles in the Civil War . Hope you enjoy our pictures!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Fort_Henry
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Fort_Donelson


Papaw With the Grandkids That Came Along

The boys posing with a confederate soldier reenactor who had just finished a musket firing demonstration.

Trying on the hats I bought them. My oldest and his cousin chose the gray, but my youngest went with the blue.


My Little Billy Yank



Johnny Rebs

My boys with their cousin.








Cousins posing in front of small shelter.


My sister's son with a frog we found. He must be a Union frog!







My husband and me.

I love this picture of our oldest.

Cannons that sit on hillside above the Cumberland River

Ready to Fire


Just Checking

Notice the Buckner quote that is given on the sign.



Dover Hotel

Imaginations ran wild.


My son taking in views of the Cumberland River from the second story porch of the Dover Hotel.


On the way home.




















No comments: